Waddles' Top Ten Tunes (November 2017)

Music is an easy thing to gloss over just how integral it is to our everyday lives. How many of you listen to music in the car, on public transport, or at the gym every day? I'm willing to wager that most of you do. Music is pleasing, it can affect our mood and most of all, we love it to death. So, lets share our love together.

10. Get Happy/Happy Days Are Here Again - Judy Garland and Barbra Streisand 



Before they sang this duet, Judy told Barbra 'you're so good that I... hate you!' Barbra followed up with the line, 'you're so good that I've been hating you for years.' That interaction itself seems to describe this duet. Charming and positive.

I could swear that over the 47 years Judy Garland graced this planet her vibrato only got stronger and her tone only got richer. Sometimes, I question if the two had ever hit a bum note in their lives. Two timeless singers with unique voices that somehow come together as one perfect whole.

There's so much emotion and simplicity in this duet that it never fails to create a lump in my throat. And in the low points of my life, I always find myself hitting the play button on this song.

9. Discovery - AK



I'm pretty sure that I found this song in a playlist that I used to help me sleep. I recall being on the edge of dropping off, about 60 seconds in, I had to force myself to get up and add this to my Spotify.

I don't think there's anything particularly outstanding about it. All I know is that when I listen to it, I imagine sitting on the top a hill watching the stars or the city lights with someone I love. None of the sounds are harsh instead there's just a gentle feeling, like floating on the surface of the ocean.

8. Feel it Out - yaeji



I'm aware of my eclectic taste, I actively enjoy Bjork and FKA Twigs but still have enough dignity to acknowledge the oddities. As such artists that step out of the box get a certain amount of respect from me. Yaeji is no different.

She has a soft hip hop and house vibe. She mixes her South Korean background with this style to create a very unique outcome. There's a minimalism that comes from her music and a clear influence of nostalgia - much like vaporwave only a little more aggressive.

Her music won't be for everyone but I admit, I find myself wanting to listen to her EP's on repeat.

7. Feel it Still - Portugal. The Man



I may be late to this discovery, but it just wasn't that popular in Britain.

It's an incredibly simple song, repetitive bass, a four-chord progression and the usual verse structure. But it's so catchy and the 'Please Mr. Postman' inspired chorus is genuinely genius.

It's a nice break from the modern trend of songs being either depressing or throwaway dance hits. Give me some happiness every once in a while, and I'll be happy putting on the charts.

6. Uninvited - Mallrat



This tune definitely has a similar vibe to no.8 only more inviting and accessible. If you remember Alessia Cara's 'Here', the lyrics of 'Uninvited' aren't so different. There's something so relatable about songs that are about being at a party and not wanting to be there.

I can't help but find the lyrics kind of brilliant, structured like a rap but not executed as such. Then the post-chorus punches you in the face with the contrast of stoic vocals and stern lyrics.

This song kept being advertised before the videos I watched on YouTube, so you can imagine my shock when I went over and listened to the song and found it only had 50,000 views. The youngster is clearly talented and deserves so much more recognition.

5. Smoked Ice Cream - Newton Faulkner



Some British and Australian folk may remember Newton Faulkner from his hit 'Dream Catch Me'. Well, since then his style has changed. With his latest album comes a highly raw base with very little production other than the base acoustics, yet still makes you want to dance.

My favourite song is the first to appear on the album, a positive and bright song that uses key changes in a way that doesn't make me want to pull my hair out. You can hear the maturity in his voice and the way his talent has manifested on the guitar, truly wonderful.

4. Joanna - Fatherson



Fatherson is currently nearing their big break after being a support act for the likes of Biffy Clyro and Panic! At the Disco. Just a small three-piece band whose singer has the most heartbreaking voice.

Not all of their songs are as sad as this one but all of them are as beautiful. Just don't listen to the lyrics too hard unless you want to ugly cry.

My favourite moment is bridge, when the meaty guitar chords come in and fill your ears yet the lyrics still push to the front.

3. On and On - Wildwood Kin



Another British three-piece band only this time all women, and instead of indie rock, it's folk.

This song prides itself on simplicity. Again. Full of rich tones, harmonising vocals and lyrics that only speak messages of hope. It's the kind of tune you'd hear at the end of a film about someone who has finally found peace and is looking in to the future.

Take at look at their other music too, it will make you feel empowered.

2. LIAR LIAR - OH MY GIRL



I'm not one for K-Pop or J-Pop. Or, at least, I thought I wasn't. I was only properly introduced to K-Pop recently through friends. I can see the appeal.

The production is flawless, the groups are endlessly talented and the music is always accompanied with fantastic visuals. Since the regulation of the industry to protect younger stars, I admit I feel more comfortable supporting the music.

As for this song, it's just addictive and gets stuck in my head. Is that not just K-Pop?

1. My Tamako, My Sookee - Jo Yeong-wook



My number one song this month is from a film. If you know me personally you will know that film scores are my true passion. Hence, it will be no surprise that my favourite film of the month also has my favourite tune.

This piece is from 'The Handmaiden' directed by Park Chan-wook. The whole score is nothing like western score's that I'm used to - it's powerful, traditional and romantic. You can hear the east asian influence coupled with the western classical style. And then when also coupled with the movie it made for a beautiful symphony.

Funnily enough, that match up between the east and the west mirrored the movie in stylistic decisions as well as it being a South Korean take on an English book. Almost reminds me of Austin Wintory's score for Journey if it were less delicate and more orchestral.

Fantastic score and movie that should have gotten recognition at the Academy Awards.

You can access the full playlist here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(Archive) Lets Talk About My Copious Amount of Favourite Movies and Their Scores

(Archive) Scottish BFI Film Academy Experience