Audrey Hepburn Through my Eyes: My Fair lady

I don’t believe I recall the first time I saw Audrey Hepburn on the screen. However, I do recall owning a boxset of musicals. It still sits on the shelf at my parent’s house; with its sleeve held together by sheer will alone. It contains Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Calamity Jane and My Fair Lady. I have fond memories with Calamity Jane, with its overly cheerful music and tomboyish main character. But I have even more fond memories of My Fair Lady.

My Fair Lady was glamorous in every way. It has the most beautiful art direction, the gowns, the cinematography. I remember the Ascott opening scene, shot in one glorious take and all the women donned in black and white dresses that seemed to be a mix between 60s fashion and Art Deco. This whole scene serves to separate both Henry Higgins and Eliza Doolittle from the exact group of people they are trying to fit in with. They aren’t stoic and lifeless people who only care about their status like the rest of the people at the Ascott – they have flaws and an identity. Proven by that glorious scene where Eliza has a slip of the tongue whilst making small talk, separating her from the high-class individuals. The core of this musical is identity over appearances.

Many would say that Julie Andrews deserved to have the role of Eliza Doolittle in the movie, seen as though she shone so brightly on stage. However, I would beg to differ. Audrey Hepburn absolutely kills the performance, her cockney accent and attitude being just hilarious enough to make you smile but not so much that you feel it’s a parody. Her character comes off as naïve and innocent to begin with but throughout you begin to understand that she is just hopeful and far smarter than it seems. It’s a wonder that Rex Harrison won an Oscar and she wasn’t even nominated.

You may know that Audrey’s singing was dubbed as her voice wasn’t strong enough. This was in part due to her range being lower than the score. In the end, Marni Nixon ended up recording the music, much to my dismay. Marni Nixon is a wonderfully talented vocalist, however she failed to capture Eliza’s essence through song. And when you compare Hepburn’s original recordings to Nixon’s the difference is astounding. The original recordings are more down to earth, perhaps more reflective of Eliza as a character, but struggled with some of the harder sequences. The better option would have been to do additional vocal training or to transcribe the music to fit her range. To think that if they had chosen Julie Andrews they wouldn’t have had this problem, but then we wouldn’t have the wonderful take on Eliza that Audrey portrays.

Alas, My Fair Lady became something I looked up to. I wanted to sing the songs and wear the costumes. I wanted to be able to create something as (almost) perfect as that. I became attached to the idea of transformation. And the more I watched it the more I realised it wasn’t about transformation but it was about keeping hold of what makes you who you are

At the time, I was a young lass, that’s how I was read and treated. And for me, there was a sense of power that came from Eliza’s character. All of Higgins’ songs were about reducing women to nothing and toting men as superior. When you watch this, it’s so in your face that you know this is supposed to be making it clear that Higgins is a bit of a dick. Then, when compared to Eliza’s songs, it cements that train of thought. Her songs are all about sticking up for herself and how she ‘don’t need no man’. She retains her identity throughout, despite her change in appearances. And although she goes back to Higgins it was her choice, and by her using her cockney accent to address him it proves that she has the upper hand and she has never lost herself on the journey. I read an article that said the words ‘choosing the man doesn’t make My Fair Lady a sexist movie; it makes it a movie about a sexist time.’

This was my introduction to Audrey Hepburn, a film that gave me courage and hope. It built on my already existing love of musicals but introduced me to a beautiful woman that I now recognise is more than just a wonderful actress. Without that dusty old boxset who is to say I would look up to Audrey Hepburn the way I do today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(Archive) Lets Talk About My Copious Amount of Favourite Movies and Their Scores

(Archive) Scottish BFI Film Academy Experience

Waddles' Top Ten Tunes (November 2017)