(Archive) A Relationship with Film

*Reposted from my former blog*

Films, a motion picture utilised to tell a story, it’s an art form and a discovery that has only improved over the many years. There is many a way to create a movie, using traditional film reel, digital cameras, stop motion animation, cell animation, CGI and 3d animation. There’s a variety of genres, styles and methods in executing each film. In turn this makes motion picture on of the most versatile art forms, an art form that almost anyone can experience and enjoy in some way.

My adoration towards film was not something that just clicked all of the sudden; it was a gradual process that built up over many years. Ever since a young child I’ve watched films, especially since when I was just a tot and everything else was uninteresting to me. But you know what I did love – some good old movie time. But then my parents had a respectable VHS collection, of which my attention was mostly drawn to the wonders of Pixar and Disney.

As I grew up I had my horizons widen slowly over time, consisting mainly of animated films, musicals, Christmas films and 80s action by the time I was around eight. This was before I moved up to Scotland – before which I did very little and had very little idea of what I actually appreciated.

Once I moved to the Highlands I was then introduced to whole new groups of films, slowly over time I worked my way through the various channels that I could get with 12s and 12As. Yet still film never interested that much, I enjoyed it but at such a young age being interested in something was near impossible.

Along came High School, the official turnaround. People around me would talk about films constantly and through this my excitement was sparked. Every Saturday my family would sit down and would a film or two, and during my time in Scotland our DVD collection has grown significantly, clocking in good 600 or so films. This quality time with my family introduced me to all sorts of weird stuff and by High School time I was already watching the 18s - Quentin Tarantino plaguing many of my weekends.

Despite the amount of movies I had witnessed, I rarely stepped out to watch the classics or went to the cinema to watch a potential Oscar winner. Whilst this was partially down to our Cinema closing down for a good few years, the other aspect was that my parents seemed to have little interest in the classics. So I took matters in to my own hands and sat my way through Psycho, The Wizard of Oz, Metropolis (an outstanding feat of a film), Nosferatu, Singing in the Rain, King Kong, It’s a Wonderful Life, The Big Sleep and other so called best of the best. This exploration lead me to understand the genuine talent and beauty of cinema, nowadays cinema relies on spectacle but in the older films it was a good story that got you somewhere, and clever techniques using what technology they had. This is a connection I hold dearly.

Roughly a year ago, my Dad introduced me to Spaghetti Westerns. He forced me to watch the Good, the Bad and The Ugly and I was not disappointed. By this time I had developed an acute sense of longing towards scores, watching this film got me right in to the workings of the one and only Ennio Morricone. I have only four words, the Ecstasy of Gold.  Not long after watching ‘the Good, the Bad and the Ugly’; I went on and watched a Fistful of Dollars and A Few Dollars More – all fantastic films.

In late 2012 our local cinema started up again, and since I have attended over 30 times and counting. Since a particular date I started collecting my cinema tickets. My frequent goings to the cinema has sparked my longing to also work there, and of course I will apply/send my CV in.

But now we come to the present, I sit here behind my computer typing, the keys clicking away like a crab’s pincers. You may or may not have come to the conclusion that films are essentially who I am, they are they make up such a huge part of me – and that’s a good thing. My up-bringing and my love for all things related to films – especially animated films and film scores – has lead me to wish for a career in the industry. Already I’m learning to animate, my artist nature stated through my many sketchbooks. I’m listening to scores and learning to improvise dramatic monologues with my musical ability. Whilst I have many skills and assets, I’m also indecisive and flexible which makes it extremely hard for me to work out which part of film I want to work in. Do I want to be a concept artist? Set designer? Actor? Director? Cameraman? Costume Designer? Honestly I’m still unsure.

For now I’m working towards a course in computer arts – teaching me animation and concept art and other such techniques. Yet I still need clarification – hopefully time will tell or maybe experience and chances will aid me.


To me film is an escape, a journey in to the life of a character or in to a world of beauty, it allows me to forget about exams or stress and relax for a moment. This benefit to films makes me want to become involved and provide that joy to others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(Archive) Lets Talk About My Copious Amount of Favourite Movies and Their Scores

Waddles' Top Ten Tunes (November 2017)

(Archive) Scottish BFI Film Academy Experience